Who doesn’t love quick and easy meals? I know I sure do! Now, who loves quick, easy, healthy AND low cost meals??? MEEEEE!!!!! With our busy weekdays of homeschool field trips, music lessons, baseball practice, art, etc. I’m all for meals that require minimal ingredients and minimal effort. Who’s with me?
Here’s my 7 Day Dinner Mealplan for a family of 5… and what makes it even better is that it all costs less than $100. You heard that right!
Day 1: 3 Ingredient Loaded Chili and Cheese Sweet Potato Fries
• 2 cans of Chili (Vegetarian or otherwise)
• 2 bags of frozen sweet potato frites
• 1 bag shredded mild cheddar
• Optional: diced green onions, avocados and sour cream (mmmm)
Directions: heat sweet potato fries according to package instructions. Warm chili in a pan on stovetop. Combine, sprinkle cheese and optional toppings if you wish and eat! Done in 20 minutes.
Day 2: Slow Cooker Spicy Meatballs with Rice and Broccoli
• 2 bags frozen turkey meatballs
• 1/2 bottle Siracha and roasted garlic BBQ sauce
• 1 container pepper jelly
• 1 bag broccoli florets
• steamed white rice – you can get the microwaveable pack at TJ’s – I already have a Costco bag of rice so there’s no need for me to buy more!
Throw both bags of frozen meatballs in the slow cooker with 1/2 bottle of the Siracha BBQ sauce and the entire bottle of pepper jelly. Set it and forget it! Haha until dinner that is… set it on low for 6-8 hours. Prepare broccoli according to package (I prefer the stovetop method) and prepare rice. Serve meatballs over rice with broccoli on the side or combine it all together. You do you!
*let me give you fair warning – this dish does have some kick to it so if you’re faint of heart when it comes to spicy, I suggest going light on the sauces or diluting with a few cups of water in the slow cooker.
Day 3: Gyros
• 2 packages Gyro Slices
• 1/2 red onion
• 2 Roma tomatoes
• Crumbled Feta
• Tzatziki Dip
• Pita or Naan (not pictured)
Heat Gyro slices in skillet according to package directions. Slice red onion, and dice tomatoes. Serve on warm pita or naan bread or you could even add a pack of greens like spinach and make a Gyro salad. Mmmmm – I think I’ll try that next time!
Day 4: Outside-In Stuffed Gnocchi with Sausage and Pesto Sauce
Ok, this one was SO good and SO easy, my 9 year old made it! From start to finish… and it was under 15 minutes from prep to table. This one’s a keeper!
• 1 package Outside-In stuffed gnocchi
• 1 package sweet Italian chicken sausage
• 1/2 cup Kale, cashew and basil pesto
• Parmesan, Romano and Asiago to garnish
• 4 tbs water
Slice chicken sausage into medallions and place in heated skillet with a drizzle of olive oil. Once browned, pour in entire package of gnocchi and toss until coated with oil. Pour water in and cover to simmer and soften for approximately 2-3 minutes. Uncover and toss in 1/2 cup pesto sauce. Sprinkle with cheese and serve! If desired add an extra spoonful of pesto sauce to your individual serving – I prefer it this way but the kids didn’t want too much of the “green stuff” haha.
Day 5: Butternut Squash Ravioli with Peas in Cream Sauce
• 2 packages TJ’s butternut squash ravioli
• 1 container garlic and fine herb Boursin
• 1/2 package frozen peas
• salt and pepper to season
• olive oil
Boil ravioli according to package. Drain in colander and return to pan. Add a drizzle of olive oil, boursin cheese and 1/2 of the frozen pea package. Stir until combined. Season with salt and pepper and some garden thyme if you have some!
Day 6: Cowboy Quinoa Bake
• 1 cup Quinoa, dry
• 1 jar TJ’s Cowboy Caviar Salsa
• 1 can TJ’s Organic Diced No Salt Added Tomatoes
• 1 cup Mild Cheddar Shredded Cheese
• 2 sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
Preheat oven to 350°. Add Quinoa and 2 cups water to a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 10-12 minutes, until water is completely absorbed. Turn off heat and fluff quinoa with a fork.
In an oven safe pan, fold together cooked quinoa, Cowboy Caviar, diced tomatoes, sweet potatoes and Cheese, just until mixed. Cover with foil and place in oven. Cook for 45 minutes, take foil off and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Return to oven then turn oven up to 375 on high and cook 5 more minutes. Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes. Top with Sour Cream and Cilantro, if desired and serve.
Day 7: Wonton Miso Soup
• 2 containers Miso ginger broth
• 1 package chicken cilantro mini wontons
• 1/2 bag organic baby spinach
• Optional: garden scallions
Dump everything in a large soup pot and cook on medium heat for approximately 15-20 minutes. That’s it!