I made scones for the first time and they are quite delicious! They may not look pretty and uniform, but isn’t that kind of the beauty of scones? These pumpkin spice scones are great for holiday guests or brunch.
It also just looks impressive to your guests that you baked a homemade treat that looks difficult, but actually is not at all!
FOR THE SCONES:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 7 tbs granulated sugar
- 1 tbs baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ tsp allspice
- 6 tbs cold butter(cut into sm cubes)
- ½ cup canned pumpkin
- 3 tbs half-and-half
- 1 lg egg
FOR THE SPICED GLAZE:
- 1 cup + 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 tbs milk
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 425° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients using a whisk. Using a pastry blender, potato masher, or fork (whatever you got!), cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture is crumbly and there are no chunks of butter larger than the size of a pea; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, half-and-half and egg. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until mostly combined (the mixture will seem dry), and turn the dough out onto a clean work surface dusted with flour. Knead the dough a few times to ensure it is completely combined (you don’t want to work it too much with your hands and warm the butter!)
- Pat the dough into about a 7-inch circle. Cut the round of dough into 8 equal triangles (or more if you prefer smaller scones). Place the scones on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for approximately 15 minutes, or until lightly browned on top. Cool completely before glazing.
- For the Spiced Glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, milk, cinnamon and nutmeg. Using a spoon, drizzle the glaze over each scone and allow to set before serving. (If the mixture is too stiff to drizzle, whisk in a splash of milk at a time to thin it out just enough to drizzle.) Leftover scones can be stored in an airtight container on the counter for up to 3 days.