Fall is here! One of my favorite times of the year. Belly warming meals, friends and family gatherings. It all makes me happy.
One of our favorite things during the season is pumpkin butter in the morning. We enjoy it on toast, waffles, English muffins. It’s yummy and hearty and great with a cup of tea.
I try to keep a jar of it available for us to enjoy and it’s great to give as gifts to teachers, friends or as a Thanksgiving hostess gift.
- 3.5 cups pumpkin puree or 1-29 oz. can (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Zest and juice of 1 large orange or 3-4 mandarins
- 1/2 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground clove
- 2 tsp allspice
* Can also substitute above spices with pumpkin pie spice to taste
*Paleo version: substitute brown sugar with 10 pitted dates.
1. Add all ingredients to crockpot; stir well. Turn crockpot on low and cook for about 4 hours or high 2 hours – until it becomes thick and smooth, stirring occasionally.
2. This recipe yields two 15 oz. jars of pumpkin butter, but if that’s not enough you could easily multiply the recipe to make a bigger batch!